Friday, January 06, 2006

7 UP CAKE WITH ORANGE SAUCE

FRIDAY'S FOOD TIP

Okay. So I know the whole world is on a diet now that the holidays have passed and I should have posted this recipe earlier. But copy it and tuck it away. Then, when you have your next dinner party and want something easy yet impressive and a bit out-of-the-ordinary to serve, try this 7 Up Cake with Orange Sauce.

7 UP Cake is not new. I think the recipe first circulated in the late 1960s. But this particular recipe for 7 Up Cake is a bit different (most other recipes call for lemon flavoring) and most of them don't include the Orange Sauce (I think I came up with that).

I used to make this cake and serve it with orange sauce when I was a teenager. My mother didn't particularly enjoy baking, so whenever she'd throw a dinner party I'd offer to make the dessert. She usually requested this cake with orange sauce because it was an unusual, flavorful, and elegant way to end the meal.

428058_99859921
The cake is delicious without the orange sauce but the sauce makes it even better.


7 UP CAKE

1 c. butter, softened
1/2 c. shortening
3 c. sugar
5 eggs (at room temperature)
3 c. flour, sifted 3 times
3/4 c. 7 Up
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 tsp. butternut flavoring


Preheat oven to 325 degrees.

Cream butter, shortening, and sugar together. Add eggs, one at a time, and beat well. Add sifted flour and 7 Up (alternately), beating well. Add vanilla extract and butternut flavoring. Mix well. Pour into greased bundt pan or angel food tube pan and bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center of cake comes out clean.

Let the cake completely cool before serving.

ORANGE SAUCE

2 c. powdered sugar
1/4 c. orange juice (more or less)

Put powdered sugar in a saucepan. Add enough orange juice to make a paste. Heat the mixture until the powdered sugar dissolves and the paste becomes more of a sauce. Add a little more orange juice, if needed.

Pour a tablespoon or so of warm Orange Sauce over each slice of cake right before serving or put the orange sauce in a heat resistant pitcher and let everyone pour the sauce over their slice of cake themselves.


"You can't have your cake and eat it too." - Proverb

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

WHERE CAN I PURCHASE "BUTTERNUT" FLAVORING? MY GRANDMOTHER MADE THIS CAKE FOR US WHEN I WAS SMALL BUT THE ONLY FLAVORING I HAVE BEEN ABLE TO FIND IS "VANILLA, BUTTER & NUT". THIS IS NOT WHAT SHE USED.

HER'S WAS "THICK RED" FLAVORING. DO YOU KNOW THIS KIND? PLEASE ANSWERE SOONEST, WE ARE TO MAKE MY DAUGHTERS WEDDING CAKE THIS FLAVOR.